| Club History || |
In early 1920, Mr. Charles Killinger, Esq. and Mr. Jim Shenk were appointed by a group of prominent Lebanon, Pa. citizens to find a suitable location for a country club and golf course. Killinger and Shenk selected the adjoining farms of Abraham B. Horst and Samuel B. Horst, each with 100 acres, as a desirable location. The close proximity of these properties to the only public transportation, the Hershey Electric Railway, made them a prime choice.
The club project site was agreed upon at a cost of $40,000. Development of the site was authorized at a charter meeting of the Lebanon Chamber of Commerce on March 31, 1920. The project was estimated to cost $60,000. Barn improvements were proposed to house and facilitate club activities. The lower floor would accommodate a gymnasium and locker room, and a large dance floor was planned for the second floor. The presence of a strong flowing stream on the property would aid in the construction of a swimming pool and skating pond.
On May 6, 1920, 18 men were elected to the Board of Governors, including: Warren G. Light, Esq., President; Jacob M. Shenk, Vice President; C. Oscar Bressler, Esq., Secretary; and Harry J. Shenk, Treasurer. On July 1, 1920, a meeting of the membership was held. The charter was accepted and the bylaws adopted. The club membership consisted of 160 family members, 57 single men, 17 single women, and 14 Junior members.