Lehigh Country Club

 Lehigh Country Club
2319 South Cedar Crest Blvd.
Allentown, PA  18103
 gm@lehighcc.com
  www.lehighcc.com

Architect:  William S. Flynn
Founded:  1910

Club Contacts

Golf ProfessionalJoshua Tremblay  (610) 437-1451
General ManagerJennifer Felegy  (610) 258-6125 x28
SuperintendentJohn A Chassard  (610) 967-4643

Course Slope & Ratings

Lehigh Country Club TeesFront 9Back 9Course
RatingSlopeRatingSlopeYardsRatingSlopePar
 Green  Male  30.9 112  31.5 110  4412  62.4 111  70 
 Gold  Male  32.6 121  33.4 115  5263  66 118  70 
 White  Male  33.7 124  33.7 117  5550  67.4 121  70 
 Blue  Male  35.6 125  34.7 127  6194  70.3 126  70 
 Black  Male  35.9 130  36.9 133  6716  72.8 132  70 
 Green  Female  32.9 114  32.8 120  4312  65.7 117  70 
 Gold  Female  35.7 131  35.3 127  5263  71 129  70 
 White  Female  36.5 132  36.1 132  5550  72.6 132  70 
 Blue  Female  37.8 137  38.5 142  6194  76.3 140  70 
 Black  Female  39.2 143  39.9 148  6716  79.1 146  70 

Directions


Club History

At about the same time that Old York Road was launched, a club some 30 miles due north also came into existence. Lehigh Country Club filed its articles of incorporation in the latter part of 1910. Edward A. Soleliac was elected president. Other officers were George E. Holton, vice president; S. G. K. Stradley, secretary; and William W. Schantz, treasurer.

A 60-acre parcel of land known as the Dodson Farm, near Rittersville, was acquired, and construction of a nine-hole course and a clubhouse got underway early in 1911. And if the course itself was, like so many "starter" courses, rudimentary, the same could scarcely be said of the clubhouse. On the occasion of the grand opening, April 18, 1912, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported: "... One hundred and twenty-four feet long and splendidly equipped, the clubhouse, which is of Italian villa architecture, is handsome and commodious and luxuriously furnished. The three dining rooms can be thrown into one banquet hall capable of seating 250 people."


The original clubhouse of Lehigh Country Club — in the style of an Italian villa -- opened on April 18,1912

By this time, the club already had 350 resident members. Five years later, that number had climbed to 456, to say nothing of Junior and non-resident members. But by 1925, membership had declined to 349. The decrease was due principally to the fact that Northampton Country Club now had an 18-hole course, and so did the new club at Bethlehem, Saucon Valley Country Club. A nine-hole course was not going to be acceptable to Lehigh Country Club much longer.

Before the year was out, the club had acquired a new site. Located near Wieda’s Mill, it consisted of two properties, the Kemmerer and Kline farms, totaling 205 acres. Running through this pretty rolling countryside was the Little Lehigh River. Purchase price was $55,000.

On May 17, 1926, the board approved a contract with Toomey and Flynn (William Flynn had recently designed Cherry Hills, outside Denver, Colo., and the Cascades Course at the Homestead, Hot Springs, Va.) to design and build a course at a cost of $109,210. Within seven months, Toomey and Flynn completed their contract. However, all of 1927 and the first months of 1928 would be required to develop the course into playing condition, chiefly because heavy rains were to create a number of washouts—broad and deep gullies—to say nothing of the sinkhole that occurred when about a third of the 10th green dropped some six or seven feet. But on Memorial Day 1928, with the club’s president, C. R. Harned, driving the first ball, the 18 opened for play.


Back to Listing ]

Services
Individual Membership
Club Membership Application
Membership Information

Pennsylvania Golf Association
301 Pennsylvania Ave, Ste 400
Kutztown, PA 19530

ABOUT US
MEMBERSHIP
HISTORY
COMPETITIONS
VOLUNTEERS
CONTACT US