Bucknell Golf Club
|Bucknell Golf Club|
366 Smoketown Road
Lewisburg, PA 17837
Architect: Emil Loeffler / Ed Ault
view larger map
Dec. 21, 1929 — The Bucknell Board of Trustees unanimously approved a motion by Mr. William H. Thompson, of Hightstown, N.J., that the Board complete the payment for the farm purchased by Judge Albert W. Johnson, for the purpose of constructing a golf course.
Feb. 28, 1930 — Professor James P. "Scottie" Whyte announced that Mr. Emil Loeffler, noted golf architect, had been retained to design the course, his brother, Mr. Archie Loeffler supervised the construction of the golf course at a cost of $15,000, a major part of which was borrowed on the endorsement of several members, namely, Frank Burpee, "Scottie" Whyte, James McClure and Robert Matz.
Spring 1964 — The course was expanded to 18 holes by the addition of the Herman farm west of Smoketown Road, which had been purchased by the University in 1947 at a cost of $9,000. Golf course architect Edward Ault, of Silver Spring, Maryland redesigned the course. He added a large pond (Nos. 12 and 13) to the old layout, placed five new holes (Nos. 4, 10, 12, 13) out of the original acreage. The cost of these improvements was $76,000.
June 15, 1990 — The new clubhouse facility opens. The project consisted of new dinning area and kitchen, new men’s and women’s locker rooms and updated pro shop and office space. Contributions to the clubhouse project totaling $1,500,000 helped to defray the cost of $570,000.